What to do when your blog posting dries up
Sometimes you are too busy with other projects or get out of the habit of blogging regularly. Obviously if you are making money looking after clients then that isn’t a bad thing but there is always that nagging thought that if your blog posting comes to a standstill, you are not giving your loyal followers the attention they deserve.
So please forgive me for my lack of blog posting and delivering valuable content recently. My plan is to remedy that this year – unless I get invited back to Switzerland to deliver more training! One thing that always works for me is committing to do something for 10 minutes every day. After 21 days this becomes a habit. I know there are lots of blogging ‘challenges’ out there but the logistics of blog posting everyday just doesn’t fit into my schedule. I think it can become negative as you feel you must keep up with the schedule. That kind of pressure can become counter-productive.
I also think that you tend to write better when things bubble up unconsciously. Better to spend 10 minutes every day doing one of the following:
- Brainstorm ideas for blog posts.
- Write in a different space – go to the library or a cafe and see if the muse meets you there.
- Read relevant blogs about your niche to get ideas.
- Comment on other blogs – sometimes a blog post arises whilst I am responding to a post or even to an email.
- Clutter clear your newsletter subscriptions – sometimes you get information overload. Be strict about what makes it into your inbox.
To get you in the mood you might like to buy yourself a nice notebook and pen. New stationery cries out to be used. Another tip is to do it at the same time everyday – you then start to positively programme yourself to do the right thing in the right way.
So good luck with writing your blog, look out for more blog postings from me and I hope that it’s going to be a great year for you.